Sunday 14 March 2010

a modest beginning...

…for what will go on to be defined by its modesty. the blog is to be about my three enduring fascinations: food, clothing and shelter. In those three things I am obsessed with the pursuit of quality. In that pursuit I seem to find more often than not things were better back then than they are now. I don’t want to become one of those young (’84 vintage) people who just yearns for the 1950s and I’m not, a lot of things were shit. Its simply that I keep finding things were better made, better designed, less disposable and therefore more wholesomely precious than most stuff we consume today. That and people were better dressed when they had to think about buying clothes rather than chucking on a £3 primark top.

Most importantly, our grandparent’s habits of saving parcel string and mending clothes just seems to make sense. Not because of some global economic crisis but because until I qualify I’m on a subsistence wage for London!

No comments:

Post a Comment